February 14th

Even though holidays are mostly commercialized in the US, there is something nice about taking time out of our ordinary routine to acknowledge the people we care about.  There is a little part of me that is a little disappointed that Valentine's day is virtually  non-existent here. There was not one conversation heart to be found in this country.  We've gone to holiday extremes moving from the US to France.  I don't need the overly decorated stores or constant holiday reminders a month before they arrive, but some holiday cheer would be nice.

We did make a nice little Valentine's day meal.  Braised short ribs, polenta, and garlicy spinach- an adaptation from a recipe I found in the Washington Post.  Thanks to my sister's care package (and Duncan Heinz) we had red velvet cake for dessert.  I'm also including photos of the wasabi coleslaw salad we had last Tuesday, just because it's so colorful.

Nothing says love, like a home cook meal.  My favorite flowers help too.