Fresh air

I am not a city girl.  Give me fresh air, outdoor living, and scenic views.  This vacation has reminded me how much I favor nature over urban landscapes.  For the past week, we've spent most of our time outdoors- we eat outside; we walk to town; we go on hikes.  I take deep breaths hoping to keep some of the fresh air with me when we return to Paris.

Thomas had to do some convincing to get me to take a holiday in July. I still have the US mentality of all work and no play.  I am glad that I gave in.  Chamonix, France, located in South Eastern France close to the border of Italy and Switzerland, is a wonderous place. The towering peaks that cradle the valley are mesmerizing.  The glaciers that are nestled in the wedges created by the mountains can been seen from every corner of town.  A thirty minute walk in any direction will get you to a trail head.  There is only one butcher in town, but the restaurants are good and not terribly expensive or crowded.  Things might be different during the ski season, since this is one of France's oldest ski resorts.  I can tell you that the summers are a perfect getaway for those of us who find cities too crowded.  Chamonix is proof that France does have space. It's just not in Paris.

The dining area.

Mer de glace. France's longest glacier (4.3 miles/7 km long).

On the hiking trail "Rendez-vous avec le mer de glace" (Date with the glacier "mer de glace" ).  Perfect name since the glacier is constantly in view as you hike the trail.