Weekly Market Outing

I am absolutely loving the fact that we are a ten minute walk from our bi-weekly open air market.  Each Wednesday and Saturday morning the central square brims with life as dozens of vendors bring to Garches peppers, raspberries, leeks, flowers, homemade pasta, cured meats, roasted chicken, cheeses, and freshly baked bread.  It is a gourmand's paradise. There are even folks who sell crepes and fresh orange juice, as well as paella, Chinese and Lebanese food.

Each Saturday, Thomas and I head to the market to buy the ingredients for the meals that we'll have over the next few days.  Tomorrow, I decided to make a quiche Loraine so we bought something bacon like. It was not exactly bacon because the butcher ran out of that, but he recommended this smoked something or other (he did tell me what it was, but I can't remember). I trusted his judgement. I told him what I was making, and I was happy to take his recommendation.  We also bought some homemade pasta, and some veal.  For the veal, we went to the butcher that Thomas befriended last week.  He spoke only a little English so it took us (me, Thomas, the butcher, and his wife) to figure how to tell them that we wanted veal.  They were patient and are always friendly and helpful when interacting with us.  After trying to describe what we wanted to buy in broken French and the butcher listing all the meats he had, I pulled out my iphone and just googled it.  His eyes lit up when he realized what we were asking for:  "escalope de veau."  Now we will know how to ask for it next time.

The market is always fun.  Seeing all that fresh foods, also makes me want to cook better. Perhaps a cooking class is in our near future.

Crepes, coffee, and freshly squeezed OJ break.


Handmade Pasta Guy




Market is always at the town center next to the Church.