We have way too much stuff

The movers came and went on Wednesday.  After two months sleeping on an air mattress and living in an apartment with only a table, two chairs, and one floor lamp, I am grateful to finally have a couch to sit on and a down comforter to cuddle under.  It took the three guys about three hours to unload the truck - all 81 boxes.  I wasn't sure if it was all going to fit in our tiny apartment.  We have a lot of stuff... too much.  We lived the previous month with just two plates, two sets of utensils and wine glasses, one saute pan, and pan to boil water... while we had to plan how we cooked our dinners, we survived.  But now that I am staring at our cupboard, I wonder why we need four different types of bowls (two types of cereal. two types of soup), three wine openers, eight sets of napkins and four cutting boards.  Everything fit in our Arlington apartment, but here in France where space is a premium, I am of the opinion that we have too much stuff.   I can understand why people see America as a land of excess.  Although, compared with the miniature/doll house size furniture, cars and apartments, even normal American thing seem supersized.  Our dishwasher can't fit our American plates (they are too tall).  We had to leave all our baking sheets in the US, because they won't fit in our small oven.  And because our closest space is now reduced by 75%, sadly I think need to re-evaluate my wardrobe. Our life in France includes a bit of purging, which is probably a good thing.

The echoing will finally stop!


Living space!

Only a few  casualties.