A Garches Weekend

Despite an invite to a beach day trip, I decided to spend my first Saturday seeing what Garches had to offer.  I woke up around 9 and went to the market in the center of town.  I have been unenthusiastic about the vegetables in the grocery stores, so I was anxious to see what I could find at the  biweekly market. I was not disappointed.  While smaller than what I expected, there was an array of offers from vegetables to seafood from flowers to homemade pasta.  There were also two vendors selling antiques. And like any other market in France, you can also buy a wallet, shoes, and clothing.

Now if sellers respond to demand, it is logical to assume that one can tell a lot about a community by the style of clothing sold at the market. And judging by what was offered this morning, the people of Garches are either frumpy or old.  I am worried that it might be the latter given that when I was at church last week I was the youngest person there by 20 years until a nine year old girl walked in.  It is hard to judge though considering it's vacation. Perhaps all the young denizens are away for the month of August. That is entirely plausible.

The market itself had everything I needed.  I found it hard to shop since I didn't have any idea what I needed for the week.  Since I bought a cast iron stove top grill yesterday, I decided to make skewers. I made sure I bought something from each stall.  I bought green peppers and lemon from one stand, mushrooms from another, and asparagus from yet another.  My French was still weak, but pointing is a universal language so I managed.   I still haven't gathered enough courage to go to the butcher.  Not only is the vocabulary different, but the style of cuts of meat are different as well.  I'll need to study up on that one before venturing there.  Last stop was the baked goods.  It took all my will power not to order any tarts or other sweet treats he had--so tempting!  I only ordered a baguette ordinare and of course a crossaint. It was so flaky yet so buttery that it just melted in my mouth.

I took my loot home and then headed out again to explore Garches.  I found some interesting shops.  We have, a what I call, a bric brac shop.  A mom and pop store that sells house hold items like shower curtains, cooking utensils, place mats- basic items people need.  I found the flower shop, the fancy bakery that sells French macaroons, and randomly a Nepalese restaurant.  There was no one in there, but this is something I might have to check out once Thomas gets here next month.

There seems to be things around.  It will be interesting to see how things pick up after everyone returns next month.  After my little village exploration I managed to put together my little kitchen window flower box with basil, thyme, and rosemary.  Can't wait to cook with those herbs.

Life in Garches will certainly be different than life in the 14th arrondissement.  I will call it village life here. People may disagree, but to me, if it's not in the city than it's a village.  The pace is slower. It is quiet.  Tranquil is a good way to describe it.



Garches Market


First meal on the new cast iron grill
Dinner almost al fresco



New window herb garden