Puppy love- searching high and low to make their favorite treats

How much do I love the beagles? Enough to make their favorite doggy treats (recipe courtesy of my mom) just in time for their arrival on Saturday.


Five simple ingredients: Wheat flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, peanut butter, and milk.  While most of these items are common in the US, surprisingly they are less ubiquitous here in France.  I had to go to four different shops  to find everything I needed. Flour and  milk can be found at any grocery store.  Wheat germ, however, was found at a "bio" store - one that specializes in organic and all natural items.   Peanut butter was quite elusive.  A staple in most children's lunchboxes and a constant companion to jelly or banana, I was surprised and disappointed at how unavailable peanut butter is here in France. In my local Monoprix (a grocery store chain), I have my choice of over five types of honey (bio, eucalyptus, lavender infused, etc) even more varieties of confitures (jams).  I am elated with the two shelves of Nutella, but I would gladly relinquish one shelf, even half a shelf, to peanut butter.  I've seen peanut butter in stores, but they tended to be in neighborhoods where expats live or work.  In fact, they are often found in the "international" aisles.  And I am not even sure if there is one crystal of brown sugar anywhere in this country.  As a substitute, I had to use this liquid caramel sugar concoction (basically put water and sugar and cook until thickened and brown).  Not quite the same as brown sugar, but a decent substitute for doggy cookies.  From the looks, and smell, of the treats, I think the goodies turned out fine.

Just for kicks, below are what I found under the "American" section in a local grocery store.