J'habite à Paris.

Six o'clock  yesterday morning, I became Paris' newest inhabitant-  currently residing in the 14th arrondissement.

The small studio I have now is just temporary in order to give us time to figure out where we (Thomas, the beagles, and I) should live when Thomas and the beagles arrive in August .  The 14 district is nice, not as densely populated as the center of town (far fewer tourists), but with lots of things to do.  On the corner there is a small boulangerie (bakery) where I get my baguettes for 1,20 euros (I am convinced that baguettes in Paris are 0 calories).  A bit further up the street near the metro entrance there is  a small shop that sells fresh fruits and vegetables. Next to that there is a poissonarie, butcher, and a cheese shop!  What more does a person need?  Well, wine of course. I can get that at the Monoprix (chain store) or the Sacres Vins wine shop across the street from the flat.  Urban living certainly has its perks.  I'm glad I get to taste a bit of the Parisian city life at least for a few months.  It's nice to be central to things, but I do like space.  Did I mention that my current apartment is only 20 square meters (~215 square feet)?  Basically I am living in 1/2 the space as our place in Arlington, but paying the same price, and with only a college size frig, and no oven.

As such, we are thinking of moving out to the burbs.  We would like to be still on the Paris train system, but far enough where we can afford more space and the beagles will get more green grass on which to roll around.  Something like Shrilington - close enough to get to the city on a car even by bike, with less people, but with it's own charm (ie things to do).

I explored an area today called Garches today. I had intended to visit Marne La Coquette which shares the same train station, but I followed the folks getting off the train and ended up in the town of Garches instead.  This town is only a 20 minute train ride from Paris and has its own vibrant community. I walked from the train station to the center of town where I saw beautiful brick houses and a community park in front of the Marie (city hall).  The town center has its share of Realtors and beauty salons - the last one I thought odd.  I had a snack at a creperie across the street from the library. The proprietor kindly explained to me that crepes are sweet, but what I have always called a "savory crepe" is in fact a gallette.  He was a charming man who not only made me a gallette, but he served me it to me in a shape of a bateau!  Garches ended up being a very pleasant mistake.


All in all a good second day in Paris.

Lessons from today:
1) A shavory crepe is called a gallette
2) The french do not like air conditioning (not on the metro or restaurants or apartments)
3) Don't expect to find English speakers every where you need them (cell phone stores, real estate agents,and pharmacies)